Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Interacting with Professionals/Administrators and Advocacy

Throughout my continued observation and interactions with the administrators and professionals these last two weeks I was able to learn about to set up parenting classes and use the information table as a means of displaying items that would be helping in reaching out to families. My advocacy campaign is about educating families so the effects enlighten and prepare their children for a successful future. The Family Support Coordinators and Director all agreed that the center needs for improving the care that the children and increasing the interest level would stem from the results of an effective outreach program for parents. I brought these issues to them by sharing some observations that I made about how I noticed some of the parents interacting with the children, how the children were being brought to school and the actions of some of these children who parents needed a little boost or extra help with parenting.
I think that the best thing for me to do to continue my journey on parenting outreach is to learn about the companies policies on how they help families within the centers and outside in the community. I want to learn how the company does outreach and if not a direst way, I would like to talk to someone that could help me with stretching the campaign out so that more parents are willing to come get help. I would like to make parent education something that is not seen as a judgmental thing, but a helpful thing that he children need as well as a parent.

2 comments:

  1. What topics are you looking at for your parent education classes? I think that parent education is always a tough subject because, as you said, you don't want it to be viewed as a judgemental thing but something that will help parents. I think that if other parents can begin to realize that they are not the only ones who may share the same struggles, they will realize that there is a benefit to parent education.

    One of the best outcomes we have had for a parent education subject is the Parenting with Love and Logic series. I believe it is an 8-week course and you have to commit to attend all sessions. The parents that participated fulfilled their committments and really seemed to enjoy the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Educating parents is a good thing but it is also a touchy and tough subject to talk to the parents about. Some parents really need to have a one on one talk. How can it it be done? That is a good idea about starting parenting classes. When I need to have a talk with my parents about their child I always call the Social Service Worker to help talk to the parents. You will have some parents that understand and some that don't. I think that what you are advocating for is GREAT!!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete