Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Advocacy Interviews

      The insight that I gained from both educators, the first is an early childhood caregiver for infants and toddlers, the second a teacher assistant for public early childhood education, is that the issues they both expressed are very similar even though there is a significance in the age levels. The issues that both types of teachers expressed are their concerns with issues of denial and rejection i families when early intervention can help and the lack of care that some children receive.
    These interviews persuaded me to choose the route of discussing becoming apart of the public early childhood education advocacy campaign. I was persuaded to take this route because I noticed that even the issues of denial and lack of care in child care parents still are more available, where as in the public early childhood settings families begin to become strangers to the learning process leaving a huge gap between home and school.
    As a part of my reserch and advocacy journey I would like to figure out how to close these gaps and stimulate family participation that is not forced or judgemental. I would to find out how to help early childhood programs create programs that allow parents to get the resources they need to become assets to their child's learning process.
Questions that I have for my colleagues are:
  1. What are some of the issues you notice in your classrooms because of the lack of family involvement?
  2. Do you think that this is an issue that is large issue that is swept under the table because of the excuses that are given becuase of demographics?
  3. How can we work as a group or team to help parents and families understand the importance of their participation at home and school, even in families that may have language barriers and/or cultural differences?

6 comments:

  1. That is a great subject. I'm sure that some families at first will be in total denial. I have heard of some children who are not able to get any services in pre school because thier parents will not accept the fact that the child is not "typical". I think that is so sad, and only the child gets hurt, or left behind. Good for you for wanting to be an advocate for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked with a few familes that have refused help just to find out later that the child has a serious issue. It hurts me as a parent and teacher to have to see these children on a regular and know the effectiveness of early intervention. Children deserve so much better. getting help is just showing how much you love your child.

      Delete
  2. Lekethia,
    Can you identify three related specific topics around your area of interest? I find your statement that while “the issues of denial and lack of care in child care (exist) parents still are more available, where as in the public early childhood settings families begin to become strangers to the learning process leaving a huge gap between home and school” interesting (Lekethia). I think that you have brought up a complex issue that will be remarkable to research and create an advocacy plan for. This issue raises a great deal of questions for me and one that I had not previously considered. How did you this area of interest initially spark your curiosity? In regards to the second question detailed in your post, I would have to respond yes. I think that this is a large issue with the highly probable consideration of being swept under the table at a sadly alarming rate, but I will be curious to continue reading your research about this area.
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area is significant to me because children who are uncomfortable have other issues in trying to learn. I have seen children act out in tremendous ways when they are not fed properly or cared for the way they should.

      Delete
  3. Lekethia when parents are addressed with issues about their child they are sometimes in denial. It is hard for the teacher and parent to get on the same level if the parent is not working with the child at home on the same thing that the teacher is working on at school. You chose a wonderful topic to talk about Good Luck!!!! I am in the Early Childhood Field so feel free to ask any questions if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work at Head Start where family involvement is an important part of the program. As far as volunteering in the classroom, though, that doesn't happen too much. If we ask for help with something specific, or have a special day planned then Parents do come in more often.
    Best wishes with your work and research.
    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete